Thursday, June 7, 2012

Review: Nursing Tea

While celebrating my milestone of nursing passed my Darling's first year, I'm struggling with low supply lately. It's getting obvious especially after my beloved menses coming back on the dot of my Darling's first birthday. Milk supply dropped dramatically to half of my production I used to make.

So I was searching high and low on galactagogues that can help me increasing my supply. Started with fenugreek, 1 teaspoon mixed with warm water. I surrendered to the bitterness that made me almost puke. So I added honey that at least diluted the bitterness a bit. After a few weeks of trying, it's been rather disappointing so I stopped and try the Joy Angel Nursing Tea from Fabulous Mom instead.

The result? It doesn't work for me.
RM38.90 comes in 20 sachets
Few of my breastfeeding Mommy friends swear by Earth Mama Angel Baby's Organic Milkmaid Tea. So out of desperation I decided to give it a try. 
RM41.90 comes in 16 sachets
The result? Pretty satisfying!
My supply increased 1-2oz each pumping session. Still not enough for me but it works!
My nursing colleague Mel researched that the right dosage should be 3 sachet (a sachet each cup) a day but previously I was taking only 1 sachet for the entire day. So I'll increase the dosage and we'll see if it works better!
Comparison of ingredients: Milkmaid Tea's ingredients are all certified organic while Joy Angel's are 100% natural.
As you can see from the boxes' label, Milkmaid Tea includes wider range of herbs which I guess why it works better for me!
Important to note:  Before working to increase your milk supply, you need to first determine if it's actually in need of a boost.  There are many things that can make you think that it's low when it's not.

Read more: Lactogenic Foods for Breastfeeding

Does any of the nursing tea work for you? What other booster you would like to recommend?


No comments:

Post a Comment